Thursday, January 27, 2011

Early Learning Screening

So I had been putting off early learning screening for Mykaela. Maybe because I knew getting her to participate would be difficult. Well today was the day. Of course she is all excited about it until we actually get there and have to do what is asked of her. I even offered up the option of stopping over to say hi to Maria and give her well wishes to get well soon because Maria has been sick for the last few days.

She started off ok with doing matching game and vision but then we get to the hearing test and she won't put the head phones on so we defer that action and she needs to go to an audiologist or check back with the pediatrician. She does ok with the height and weight. Then we go to the next station. Here is where we go downhill. She refuses to participate. Won't sit in the chair to do the activities with the tester. I ask her why and she won't tell me. So instead of doing the assessment I get to talk to the tester about the next options and Mykaela's behaviour patterns. The plan is for me to call the behaviour specialist tomorrow to figure out if we should do the testing with them or attempt the early learning test again. Also get some suggestions to help with getting Mykaela to know that there are some activities that are not optional and ways that I don't always have to come up with a reward (if you do it you get the reward, if not you don't get the reward) basically so that she knows there are just some things you have to do because we say so. Mykaela wants power over every situation. They are also going to talk her preschool teacher Miss Angie to get her observations of Mykaela in class and possibly observe Mykaela in class and at home

I hope we have been doing the right thing  :( and that we can find a solution soon.

No comments: